Snorkeling on the Sunshine Coast can be a very hit and miss activity. Let us tell you why…
Summer conditions (November – May) generally produce uncomfortable seas, ocean swells, and low visibility. Although the water is warm, snorkeling in these conditions is not very enjoyable.
Winter conditions (June – October) generally produce calm seas, with clear water, however the water temperature is between 19 and 22 degrees.
The Sunshine Coast is very well known for it’s sand beaches, which means there is no coral or high populations of fish along the coastal beaches. The only shore snorkeling available is off rocky headlands: Kings Beach (Caloundra), Point Cartwright (Mooloolaba), Point Arkwright (Coolum), Noosa National Park (Noosa). All these locations are a no go when the swell or wind is up. Snorkeling on rocky headlands can be dangerous. If you are lucky, you may find a perfect day, and get some beautiful clear, warm water, with minimal waves. During the summer you would probably have a window of about 30/200 days. In the winter months you will have a window of 60/165 days, however remember the water will be cold, and you’ll definitely need a wetsuit.
There is an island called Mudjimba Island (Old Woman Island) that has beautiful snorkeling opportunities. The reef is only 3-5 meters below the surface, and you can find beautiful hard and soft corals, lots of tropical fish, turtles and crustaceans to name a few. We offer snorkeling trips to Mudjimba Island during school holiday periods and other times on demand – It is a 20 minute boat ride from our dive shop at Mooloolaba. All other reef sites on the Sunshine Coast are too deep (8 – 30 metres) for beginner snorkeling.
$85 per person includes:
- Boat trip
Snorkeling equipment prices:
- HIRE Mask/Snorkel & Fins package – $10
- HIRE Wetsuit – $15 (optional) – highly recommended for July through to September
A non-snorkeling participant can book a seat on the boat for $50 – you’ll find this option in the ‘optional extras’ section when you’re making a booking.
Meet and sign waiver = 10 minutes
Snorkeling equipment fitting = 10 minutes
Boat ride = 20 minutes
Snorkelling @ Mudjimba Island = 1 hour
Return boat ride = 20 minutes
Total approximate time for snorkelling experience = 2 hours
Terms and conditions:
- Must be at least 9 years of age
- Under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Must have a reasonable swimming ability
- Are required to complete a medical and waiver prior to the experience
We require a minimum of 8 people before we run a snorkeling trip. The trip is very weather dependent
If you BOOK ONLINE you SAVE $10 per person BOOK NOW – Enter promo code: funtimes
2018 Scheduled snorkeling trips
- Fri 6 April – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Fri 13 April – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Mon 2 July – 1:15pm till 3:15pm
- Mon 9 July – 1:15pm till 3:15pm
- Mon 24 Sept – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Fri 28 Sept – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Mon 1 Oct – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Mon 17 Dec – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Tues 18 Dec – 1:30pm till 3:30pm
- Fri 21 Dec – 2:00pm till 4:00pm