Scuba World’s Assistant Instructor Course is your gateway to working in the diving industry.
Scuba World is one of only three dive shops in Queensland that can offer you both an Australian Government Nationally Recognised Training Statement of Attainment and Internationally recognised certification card. These two qualifications guarantee you will receive the safest and highest quality course in Australia!
Our mission is simple; Create safe, comfortable, enthusiastic divers who always have a personal and enjoyable experience at Scuba World.
Enroll in a Assistant Instructor Course or enter the program as a Divemaster from any approved agency. After you are certified you can teach Scuba Skills Update, Snorkeling and Try Scuba (pool only) and you can even upgrade Training Specialist – a further step at your career ladder.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Own a Total Diving System of professional type and quality
- Have a current medical exam for scuba diving not older than 1 year and signed by a licensed medical practitioner
- Completed your Dive Master course
- Logged a total of at least 60 open water dives
PRICE: $995 (payment plan available)
- Instructor Trainer to complete your course
- All course materials
- 8 x Open Water course pool observation sessions
- 8 x Open Water course ocean observation sessions
- Internationally recognised certification card
- Internationally recognised certificate
- Professional indemnity insurance
- SSI professional payment ($110)
- Commercial dive medical (roughly $150). This is required once every 12 months to stay current as a dive professional
SCHEDULE & STRUCTURE:
The schedule of your course will be organised when you have a personal orientation with a staff member. This will be suited to fit your needs.
This course takes roughly 50 hours. This roughly takes 2-3 months to complete.
- After passing the Assistant Instructor Course Candidates may do the following:
- Perform in the same role as a Dive Master
- Teach the Open Water Diver academic and pool sessions under the indirect supervision of an active SSI Instructor, but may not teach any self-aid or emergency skills such as Air Sharing, Emergency Swimming- and Emergency Buoyant Ascent.
- Assist the Instructor with open water scuba training dives in the role of Certified Assistant only. Take students, no more than 2 at a time, on underwater tours after the students have successfully completed the required skills with an Instructor.
- Conduct the Scuba Skills Update program.
- Qualify for a Training Specialist with additional training.
- Enrol in an SSI Instructor Course
Assistant Instructor’s may not:
- Conduct open water scuba training dives for the Open Water Diver program.
- Conduct exercises involving any emergency skills that are done underwater using scuba equipment.
- Issue Open Water Diver certification.
- If you aren’t competent after 8 Open Water course pool observation sessions you’ll be required to complete additional pool session/s. This will be charged at $15 per session.
- If you aren’t competent after 8 Open Water course ocean observation sessions you’ll be required to complete additional dive trips. This will be charged at $90 per trip (normally $179).
- All candidates must be able to complete the watermanship evaluation. This requires you to do the following:
- 700m snorkel in less than 20 minutes
- 400m swim with a total dive system while breathing from a snorkel in less than 14 minutes
- 300m swim in less than 10 minutes
- 15 minute survival float in only swim wear
- 20m underwater swim without any swimming aids such as fins or mask